Saturday, October 15, 2011

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet

Hi fellow blog readers!

This assignment was a nice review for me. I took an excel class in college but it's been a few years and I have lost most of what I learned in the class because I hardly used excel as a barista :) Anyway, it was great to refresh my memory and explore all the cool functions and tools that excel allows!

For this assignment, we were given data that we had to sort and organize in a few different ways. First, we had to pull all tests scores for tests 6-10. Then, we had to determine average scores for each test (6-10) and average scores for students. From this data, I pulled the students who fell below the class average (192). I placed these students and their scores for tests 6-10 in a separate sheet where I was able to select, highlight, and graph the growth trend for these students. From the data, I am able to identify two students who seem to struggle on the tests with the lowest averages of 143 and 144 (Queen Isabella & Walter Scott). As an instructor I can seek these particular students out and have a conversation with them about their scores. Perhaps they need extra help from a tutor or another student or perhaps I need to re-teach concepts or ideas that they did not understand.

1 comment:

  1. A periodic review is never bad. Hopefully you picked up a few little tricks to expedite the process. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete